The following are basic guidelines for caring for your Vermont Butcherblock Company countertop once it has been finished.
- Wipe down your countertop with a soft sponge and mild soapy water.
- Do not use a scrubbing pad, and do not aggressively scrub the countertop.
- Be sure to dry the surface completely after cleaning.
- Do not use harsh kitchen cleaners such as Comet, Pledge or Lysol.
- Do not use bleach.
- Never use soap based oil cleaners like Murphy’s Oil Soap or other wood floor cleaners, as these will leave a film that will gum the surface of the finish.
- Keep the surface dry and clean. While it is fine for your countertop to get wet, it is important to wipe up standing water soon after it develops.
- Be cautious about allowing acidic liquids (like wet baking soda) to contact the surface as it will dissolve the finish and leave staining.
- When your countertop develops a dry, thirsty look, it is time to apply a fresh coat of Tung Oil.
These maintenance procedures can be accomplished using our Vermont Butcherblock Company Tung Oil Polish.
The steps below are only used to repair the finish and protect your countertop from further damage - they will not remove the marks themselves.
For light blemishes, lightly sand the affected area using 0000 steel wool or a non-woven abrasive pad. Always sand in the direction of the grain using light to medium pressure, making sure to sand a little bit of the area around the blemish to blend in your work.
Do not sand aggressively, as this can cause a dip in the surface of the wood.
When finished sanding, use a vacuum or tack cloth to clean the fine dust from the area, then follow the instructions for applying your finish.
If your Vermont Butcherblock Countertop was finished using Sutherland Welles Ltd. Tung Oil, you can follow their recommendations below.