Frequently Asked Questions
...about our butcher block
- How do you make your butcher block?
- What should I know before I buy an unfinished countertop?
- What do you use for a finish on your countertops?
- Do I have to do anything special when my countertop arrives?
- How do I install your countertops?
- How do I clean my butcher block countertop or island?
- Can I return my countertop?
- How do I care for my cutting board?
- How fast can I get my order?
- How do you get my order to me?
- What if I don't like what I bought - can I return it?
Our Butcherblock is made in a small shop - not a factory - that is nestled between the beautiful shores of Lake Champlain and the amazing vista of the Green Mountains of Vermont. Our small size allows us to take the time to pay attention to detail and provide you with the highest quality product available. We do this by employing incredibly talented craftsmen, paying strict attention to every detail, and starting with high-quality wood every time.
Each piece of wood is hand selected for its color and character before being crafted to your exact specifications.
We only use full length strips of wood - never the small segmented pieces often seen in lower quality butcherblock.
We do not use filler to make up for blemishes or gaps - we find you a better piece of wood.
Ordering a top unfinished is an economical way to enjoy the benefits of our custom-made wood tops by taking on the finishing work yourself. Our finishing services include final sanding, applying an edge treatment and application of finish. This is work you will need to do yourself. Before ordering an unfinished top, we want to make sure you are aware of the work you will need to do to complete the job. Keep in mind that finishing is one of the most important parts of making a beautiful and lasting wood top!
Read more important information here.
We typically use Sutherland Welles Botanical Tung Oil. For purchasing and information on how to apply, please visit their website at www.sutherlandwelles.com
It is best to unwrap your butcher block countertop and let it acclimate to the room it will be installed in for 48 hours. This allows the wood to stabilize in the new environment, which will help to minimize the amount of movement once the top is installed.
Do not lay your butcher block countertop on the floor once you receive and unwrap it. This may cause cupping as the wood acclimates to the environment. It is best to lay it out supported by pieces of 2 x 4 wood - placed on their edge - that are long enough to span the entire width of the top and spaced about 18 inches apart. This allows for adequate air movement for acclimatization.
Detailed instructions can be found here
You can also watch this video of our company owner installing one of our butcherblock countertops.
- Wipe down your countertop with a soft sponge and mild soapy water. Do not use a scrubbing pad, and do not aggressively scrub the countertop.
- Be sure to dry the surface completely after cleaning.
- Do not use harsh kitchen cleaners such as Comet, Pledge or Lysol. Do not use bleach.
- Never use soap based oil cleaners like Murphy’s Oil Soap or other wood floor cleaners, as these will leave a film that will gum the surface of the finish.
Additional information can be found here.
Because our countertops are shipped unfinished, they are subject to warping & cracking if not handled or stored correctly once they arrive. Therefore, with the exception of damage during shipment, we cannot accept returns on unfinished countertops.
Complete warranty information can be found here.
- Whenever the board begins to get a rough, dried out look you can wipe the board with our Vermont Butcherblock Company Tung Oil Polish.
- Do not put board in a dishwasher.
- Hand wash with soapy water, and dry immediately and completely. DO NOT submerge the board in the water!
- Store the board in a dry area away from direct sunlight, and well away from your stove to avoid excess heat.
All cutting board orders are typically processed within 3-5 business days (excluding weekends and holidays) after receiving your order confirmation email. You will receive another notification when your order has shipped.
Please note - our workshop is still working on catching up with the increased demand for certain products during the Pandemic. We are typically shipping closer to 4 business days as of Fall 2021.
We ship our non-countertop items via UPS Ground. Shipping charges for your order will be calculated and displayed during checkout.
If you live in the local area we offer free local pickup at 1891 Williston Road, Suite 23, South Burlington, VT, 05403. We are located within The TreeHouse Hardwoods & Millshop store. After placing your order and selecting local pickup at checkout, your order will be prepared and ready for pick up within 3 to 5 business days. We will send you an email when your order is ready.
Our in-store pickup hours are 8:00am - 5:00pm on Monday through Friday, and between 9am and 1pm on Saturdays. Please have your order pickup confirmation email with you when you come.
If you are not happy with your non-countertop purchase for any reason, you must contact us at email@example.com within 30 days of purchase. In most cases we will provide you with an RMA # you can use to ship the item to us free of charge. There is a 15% restocking fee for all returns. This fee is waived for exchanges and for items damaged during shipping.
When you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through our website we collect certain information from you, including your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers), email address, and phone number.
We use this information to fulfill any orders you have placed (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations). We also use this Order Information to:
- Communicate with you;
- Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud; and
- When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
Complete privacy information can be found here.